Paid Weight Loss Programs
We live in a society which is predisposed to being overweight, with plentiful, cheap, poor quality food, long working hours and reduced exercise options. This is a quartet disasters for our health. Once you find yourself in this trap its hard to get off the treadmill and lose weight. Obesity affects 95 million people in America alone. Why is this important? It’s a problem but nothing to do with looks or appearance. It’s a massive health issue. It’s a quality of life issue; it’s a being able to run around with your children or grandchildren issue; it’s a setting an example for the next generation issue; it’s an issue of the joy of movement. More and more people are waking up to the fact that they need to change something in their lives, and that taking control of their health through weight loss is the start of this.
Is this the point you have reached? Have you been trying for a while but just not been able to get on top of things? Either way, taking the decision to lose extra weight is one of the best decisions you will make for your long term health. How you do it will depend on many things, not least of which is how much weight you would like to lose. So you have made that decision. You want to lose weight. What is the best weight loss program for you? What diet works best? What now?
The Best Diet For Me
Once you’ve made the decision to lose weight, you will ask yourself, ‘What’s the best diet for me?’ or what diet works best. After that you have to think about whether you’re going to lose that weight on your own or use one of the paid diet programs that are available to give you some assistance and support along the way.
Some people find that paying for a weight loss program not only helps them lose weight, it can also keep them motivated and on track. Paying to lose weight forces individuals to be more committed to sticking to the program and making it work, and in a sense that is what diet works best. People don’t want to be spending all that money and not getting anything out of it. It depends on your mindset, but even if its only a way to begin to get going on dieting then a paid program can at least point you in the right direction.
What Diet Works Best
Every paid diet program is different – the foods you’re allowed to eat, food restrictions, and of course the cost which varies from one plan to the next. Before spending money on weight loss programs, learn what each of them offer and what diet works best for you. Weight watchers and lite n easy are typical paid diet programs. Are they better than a natural approach? That depends on you.
Here’s a general comparison guide for a few of the paid diet programs. Please click here for more detailed information and for more paid weight loss programs. Find out the how they work and the advantages and disadvantages of using one to help you lose the weight you’ve been wanting lose.
Weight Watchers Weight Loss Program
Weight Watchers (WW) is one of biggest weight loss plans, having 45% of the market share of weight loss programs. WW has been around since the early 1960s, when Jean Nidetch and her friends met in her home once a week in Queens, New York. They talked about weight loss, providing support to each other. They soon realized that other women were just as interested in weight loss tips and a weight loss plan.
The main philosophy of WW isn’t just a weight loss diet, it’s long-term weight management and living a healthy food lifestyle. The program is designed to help you make the right choices about food and to stay active.
It’s easy to join WW online or in person at one of the meetings. After signing up you’re given access to their website and meetings. You’ll need to weigh in every week, so WW can track your progress. You’ll also have access to their app, which allows you to connect with the Weight Watchers community for support, tracking foods, new recipes, and finding out the point value of each food.
The weight loss system is based on counting points. Each portion of food has a point value, with many of the new SmartPoints foods having zero points on the FreeStyle program. Depending on your current weight and height, fitness level, and how much weight you need to lose, you’re allowed to have a certain number of points each day. Go over the allotted points and you won’t lose weight.
On the Weight Watchers program, no foods are off-limits. You can eat foods that fit into your lifestyle, so long as you count and track the points. WW does encourage a focus on nutrition, with recipes, tips, and advice to support a healthy lifestyle.
Weight loss each week will vary for each individual based on their food choices and how active they were that week. On average, when making smart food choices and staying within their daily points, people lose 1 to 2 pounds per week.
Cost of Weight Watchers Diet Program
Weight Watchers has two plans – one that includes online and app access and meetings with weigh-ins. The other plan is online and app only, with people tracking their weight at home. Cost varies with three, six, and twelve month options anywhere from $70 for 3 months to $300 for a 12-month subscription. There is also a one time sign up fee of $34. Weight Watchers often offers limited time offers to encourage new members to sign up.
Advantages of this Weight Loss Program
· On WW you’re preparing your own meals which makes it easier to eat the foods you like.
· The program teaches portion control and good food choices.
· Weekly weigh-ins keep you accountable and motivated to do well each week.
· The online app provides access to a community of other people who are also working the WW program.
Disadvantages of this Weight Loss Program
· Since there are no foods that are off limits, some people find it difficult to stick to a healthy eating program that promotes weight loss.
· Tracking points takes time and commitment – it can be easy to forget to track points each day.
· Some people find it difficult to commit to weekly weigh-ins and meetings.
· Weight Watchers own brand of snack foods are expensive, which means some dieters turn to unhealthy, cheaper snacks.
The Jenny Craig Program For Weight Loss
The Jenny Craig weight loss program was founded in 1983 in Australia by Jenny Craig with the help of her husband Sidney. The program uses a calorie reduced diet and support with your own personal consultant to lose weight quickly and safely. Prepacked meals and snacks are delivered to your home, taking the guess work out of planning your own meals for weight loss. Meals can also be picked up if you live near a Jenny Craig location. Calorie plans vary from 1200 to 2300 per day depending on your gender, age, height, current weight, and how much you want to lose.
Jenny Craig’s current weight loss program is Rapid Results. In 4 weeks clients can expect to lose up to 16 pounds. Jenny Craig also accounts for people with health issues, such as Type 2 diabetes, with a food plan for safe weight loss.
There are over 100 different food and menu options to choose from. Once a calorie plan has been determined for your own individual needs, you’ll order three meals and two snacks for each day. As well as buying Jenny Craig’s packaged meals and snacks, you’ll need to buy your own fruits and vegetables.
Jenny Craig encourages clients to be active, adding more fitness to their lives with a minimum of 30 minutes each day.
Cost of Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program
There is a one time sign up fee of about $100 to join Jenny Craig. Then there’s a monthly subscription fee which is approximately $20 each month. After these two costs, expect to pay about $156 each week for Jenny Craig food.
Advantages of Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program
· Purchasing pre-packed foods that are allowed on your own individual weight loss plan takes the guess work out of meal planning.
· Weight loss coaches are available for advice and support.
· Good for people who don’t like cooking or don’t have time to cook.
· Calorie counting and portion control is done for you.
Disadvantages of Jenny Craig Weight Loss Program
· The monthly fees and cost of food can start to add up. If you have a lot of weight to lose, staying on the program for more than one year can be financially difficult for some people.
· Even though the food quality is good, many of the foods on the program are frozen and not fresh.
· The prepacked meals are made with some processed ingredients, including artificial sweeteners in many of the desserts.
For a more in depth analysis of the Jenny Craig Diet look here.
Lite n’ Easy Weight Loss Program
Lite n’ Easy is a weight loss program located in Australia. The company was founded in 1986 and has its headquarters in Banyo. Based on a diet plan recommended for you, meals and snacks are delivered directly to your home. There are over 100 meal options to choose from, including desserts.
The Lite n’ Easy diet plan is centered around restricting calories to lose weight. Before starting the program, you’ll answer some questions about your current weight and height, your age and gender, how active you are, and how much weight you want to lose. This information is then used to determine which meal plan is best for you.
Meal plans are determined according to how many daily calories you should be consuming to stay healthy and still lose weight – 1200, 1500, or 1800. For most people this means reducing daily calories by about 500. Average weight loss for Lite n’ Easy clients is 1 to 2 pounds per week.
Lite n’ Easy encourages clients to get moving and add fitness to their life not only to lose weight but to maintain long-term health.
Cost of Lite n’ Easy Weight Loss Program
There are no fees or contracts to sign when you join Lite n’ Easy. Full meal plans are available as well as plans for dinners only. Cost varies depending on how many meals and snacks you order. A full 7 day plan based on 1200 calories is $150. A dinner only plan of 7 dinners is $86.
Advantages of Lite n’ Easy Weight Loss Program
· It’s convenient to have food choices made for you and have meals delivered right to your door.
· Food delivery is a good solution for people who are too busy to cook healthy to lose weight.
· Calorie counting is done for you.
· Includes all foods, including fruits and vegetables.
Disadvantages of Lite n’ Easy Weight Loss Program
· The cost of the program is one of the biggest considerations.
· Even though there are over 100 meals on the menu to choose from, some people find that if they’re on the program for over two months, these meals can become boring and repetitive.
· Some people find that when they’ve reached their goal weight, unless they keep ordering meals every week, it can be hard to maintain their weight loss. Lite n’ Easy offers tips and advice for keeping off weight, however they don’t have a maintenance program.
Nutrisystem Weight Loss Program
Nutrisystem started out as a counseling service for weight loss. After watching his mother struggle with obesity, Harold Katz decided to provide more than just counseling. In the 1970s the company added weight loss products to the counselling. The first product was a protein drink that was sold in weight loss centers. During the late 90s, Nutrisystem added meal delivery to their services which later turned into a service of providing packaged meals. They wanted to give their clients a way to lose weight quickly while eating healthy and delicious packaged meals.
The Nutrisystem program for weight loss is a diet plan that provides meals and snacks to clients to eliminate the need for food prep and counting calories. All meals and snacks can be ordered online, which makes it easier for some people to diet when they don’t have to go out and purchase foods. As well as the packaged foods, you’ll be required to supplement your meals with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Nutrisystem now has a new plan that can help clients lose weight fast in the first month. The Lean 12 plan expects that women can lose up to 13 pounds and men up to 15 pounds in their first month on the program.
Nutrisystem recommends that you’re active at least 30 minutes each day
Cost of Nutrisystem Weight Loss Program
Cost averages out to $290 to $360 monthly if you sign up with the auto-renewal option. Without the auto-renewal the cost will be about $400 per month.
Advantages of Nutrisystem Weight Loss Program
· Foods are healthy and provide daily nutrition based on the food guide. Nutrisystem nutritionists and dietitians have eliminated almost all artificial sweeteners, colors and flavorings from their foods.
· The program is easy to follow – after choosing a meal plan you can select from a variety of predetermined foods for your specific calorie needs.
· Nutrisystem meals are portion-controlled so clients have just the right amount of food for each meal.
· Counselors are available by phone and online for help and support, including during the maintenance phase.
Disadvantages of Nutrisystem Weight Loss Program
· The program can be pricey, and the cost can start to add up the longer you’re on the plan. If you have a lot of weight to lose be prepared to be on the plan for longer than one year.
· Nutrisystem meals aren’t created for families – the meals are packaged in individual portions.
· The program has been developed for weight loss based on restricted calories. Even with consultants available in the maintenance phase, it can be difficult for some people to remain strict with their diet after they’ve reached their goal weight.
Slim Fast Diet Program
Slim Fast was developed in 1977 by the Thompson Medical Company. The company was founded by S. Daniel Abraham, who later sold the company and Slim Fast to Unilever Inc., who in turn sold the product to Kainos Capital in 2014. During this time, Slim Fast has undergone some transformations but the basic formula of the meal shakes remains the same.
The Slim Fast Diet is based around meal replacements. The program works around a 3-2-1 plan each day:
· 3 snacks – 100 calories each, this can include nuts, fruits and vegetables, Slim Fast snack bars, or other options.
· 2 Slim Fast meal replacements – meal shakes contain protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, and are anywhere from 200 to 400 calories each.
· 1 balanced meal under 500 calories for women, 800 calories for men.
With this food plan, women will consume about 1200 calories per day and men about 1600 calories.
With this calorie count, you can expect to safely lose about 1 to 2 pounds each week using the Slim Fast program.
Cost of the Slim Fast Diet Program
The cost of the Slim Fast diet program will vary. A one-month supply of Slim Fast meal shakes will cost about $60 to $75. It’s also possible to buy powdered Slim Fast, which is less expensive. Slim Fast snack bars cost about $1, so a 30-day supply is $30. Or you can make your own snacks.
Advantages of the Slim Fast Diet Program
· Slim Fast products are easy to purchase and are found in most grocery stores and pharmacies.
· The cost of the Slim Fast diet program is comparable to what you would spend each month on groceries.
· There is no long-term commitment. You can stay on the Slim Fast program for as little or long as you like.
· Easy to follow plan of 3-2-1.
Disadvantages of the Slim Fast Diet Program
· Slim Fast meal shakes and snack bars are made with processed ingredients; some people don’t like the taste of these processed products.
· The program doesn’t teach you how to cook healthy meals.
· There is no maintenance program that helps you maintain weight loss after you’ve reached a goal weight.
· There is no support, meetings, or weigh-in.
Final Words on Paid Diet Programs
Before deciding on a paid diet program for your weight loss, take the time to decide which plan is right for you. Using a weight loss program can make it easier for you to lose weight and stick to a plan so you reach your goal weight. Each program has its own pros and cons. By considering some of the programs here you can find one that fits into your own lifestyle and budget. The examples above are not the only weight loss programs that you can pay to be a part of. We go through all of the programs under the Paid Weight Loss Programs page. If money is a consideration, there are of course a multitude of programs you can follow which are free. A comparison of these can be found here.
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how you go about losing weight. Try to work out what diet works best. You have to find a plan or program that works for you and stick to it. Depending on your personality it might be easier for you to do this with the support of a group of likeminded individuals. Or you might find it easier by having meals prepared for you and delivered to your door, taking away the need to think too much about calories or cooking.
Whatever your finances, physiology and emotional character, there will be a weight loss program out there to suit you and you will learn to lose weight. Have a look at the different options on this site and choose one which sounds right for you. If you try it and its not, don’t worry, take some time to recoup your energy and try another one. If you have tried several and want to let us know, write to us with your story and experiences. We would love to hear what actually works of you and what didn’t and why. After all, we all want to know what the ‘best diet for me’ might be.
Losing weight is vital for your long term health. Check out ‘The health implications of being overweight.’ How many overweight 70 year olds do you see? Not many.
Having a healthy weight, not a heavy weight is important.
Take steps towards becoming healthy right now!!